17.8.11

Sysiphos, or the future of clubbing.



... continues from this post.

After basically outhipstering everyone by having Abkhazian for dinner, we headed to Kreuzberg with the intention to spend the night drinking and chatting at Golgatha, but on our way there, a better plan came out: one of my (few) german friends called me and told me that there was this cool party at this really cool place called Sysiphos in Friedrichshain, so we decided to meet there.

Turned out the place was in the middle of nowhere. The nearest train station was like 2 km away, and no tram was running after 11:30 p.m., so we had to walk. These really looked like the city's ripped backsides, unkempt, lonely and dirty. When we finally got there, an assorted crowd of hipsters, glittered electro fans, yukis and cool kids was already gathering outside the venue. Lights, music and fire filtered through the doors, soothing our tired and anxious mood. And I was definitely mollified when, one day after my 26th birthday, the bouncer asked me for an ID to let me in.

Inside it was like an urban warehouse-style wonderland. A few people were hanging out inside what it seemed like a hybrid between a circus cage and a vintage train wagon; a small, beach-like space faced the illuminated bar. Everywhere, rickety furniture and shoddy improvised seats and tents lodged the drinking and smoking attendees. A couple of installations marked the way to the dancefloor, inside the warehouse. It was beautiful: lights and intense neon colors contrasting with the deep darkness, between industrial columns and old walls, while the people there danced energically. We joined them and danced non-stop for about an hour.

I like dancing to Electro, but is just not my kind of music; it gets repetitive to me very fast, and more sooner than later I get tired of the rhythm because I feel like I've been dancing to the same song for half an hour. But it was quite fun, it was my first real dance in a long time. One thing that is also liberating about dance clubs here in Germany, is that you can really let go and never feel like you are making a fool of yourself (more on that later, let's just say that my boyfriend can't dance, but most German people make him look like John Travolta on the dance floor).

I didn't get to take any pictures, but if you are curious, apparently this is what it looks like in broad daylight:





(Pictures by Claudio from iheartberlin, and Stylons)
I have to say, by night it looks more... magical.


Around 3:00 we decided to leave, and one of my friends told me: "Stay, we will party until the trains start running again at 6, party until it's bright!" Which to our ears sounded quite like a Syshiphean task at the moment, being burned out from the day before. Besides, the way back home was about 90 minutes long (yes, my temporary accommodation was that far away), so we said goodbye and left.

When we finally got to my place, it was already bright.

One must imagine Sisyphus happy.



-*-


No comments:

Post a Comment